Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Spiritual Fitness: Are You in Shape?

"But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." -1 Corinthians 9:27, ESV

My fitness failures...
Over the past few years of being married I've gained quite a few pounds and shape. I've tried many different workout routines and videos, but never stuck with them. I've seen results and lost those results. My wife, on the other hand, is a fitness junkie. She loves to eat healthy, exercise, and treat her body with the respect that God intended her to have for it. Until recently I treated my body to the pleasures of fast food, dessert, and unhealthy snacks. I've been sticking with a workout routine lately (I'm pretty sure it's the longest I've ever actually stuck with one too!) and I'm beginning to see a spiritual truth behind fitness and keeping your body as healthy as you can.

The Athlete
Athletes push themselves over their limits every day. They deny their bodies junk food. They tackle their pain and weakness with fierce aggression. They seize their moments of weariness and use it to their advantage. Their eyes are always on the prize. They can't afford laziness and only rest to be able to work harder. They can't afford to skip meals because they need that fuel to work out later. They can't afford unhealthy food because it will slow them down. They can't afford distractions because it will throw them off their game. Discipline is their only hope, and they hang on to that dearly.

The Sluggard
Now on the other end of the spectrum there is the sluggard. Sluggards have no desire to push themselves. They do whatever is easiest and most convenient for them. They entertain themselves with brainless television shows and movies. They fill their bodies with foods filled with empty calories and fake flavors. The only exercise they get is walking to and from their car when going to and coming home from work, and some don't even want to work. They can't afford to work out because they will be sore the next day. They can't afford to eat healthier because it takes too much work. They can't afford to be distracted from their television and movies because they might miss the next big twist in the story.

Are you in shape?
So I ask you Christian as I am asking myself.. Are you a spiritual athlete or sluggard? Do you beat your fleshly desires, wants, and inclinations into submission to what is holy and edifying to your spirit, or do you let your desires and wants control you? Your physical living is the perfect analogy of spiritual living. You can talk about walking the Christian walk all you want, but if you aren't practicing what you preach, you are just like an obese man walking into a gym saying how much he just ran, bench pressed, how many calories he burned while eating a Snickers, never actually doing anything. The only difference between the two is that you can tell the obese man is a liar.

What are you going to do?
If we are honest, we'd all say that we are more of the sluggard than the athlete. If this is you, use your physical life to help motivate your spiritual life.

Resist
Resist bad food like you would resist sin. Choose to eat foods that will honor the health of your body over junk food just like you would choose to read the Bible over a sexually perverse novel. Choose to supplement your diet with fruits and veggies over candy and chips just like you would choose worship music over the increasingly immoral "Top 10" song charts.

Push
Just like an athlete would push himself to do just a few more reps or run one more mile push yourself to show the Gospel of Christ where you normally wouldn't. Just like an athlete looks for new challenges to take on look for a ministry to get involved in or find new goals for the ministry you are currently in. Just like an athlete pushes their endurance and strength push your faith, rely on God more.

The more I find myself getting fit in my physical life the more I find myself wanting to get fit in my spiritual life. I see the struggle I put my body through and realize that this is the same struggle I need to put my spirit through. Yes, it's painful, but it's worth it! If I continue, if you continue, to do this, one day when we see our Savior face-to-face we will hear "Well done My good and faithful servant. Enter into rest."

Worship the Lord with me today as we discipline our bodies along with our spirits to the glory of Him who created us!

Blessings,
Nick